CARDBOARD CLASSIC RULES AND REGULATIONS
Please read all rules carefully. They will be strictly enforced.
The safety of all participants, spectators, and mountain guests is of utmost importance.
All participants must sign a liability release and indemnity agreement. Those who have not signed, will not be permitted to race. Participants under the age of 18 are required to have a parent or legal guardian sign the release and agreement for them. Please let us know if you need additional copies of these documents.
During the event, please be aware of your surroundings including other crafts, participants, and spectators. Participants are responsible for stopping their crafts after crossing the finish line. DO NOT rely on the safety fence at the bottom of the course to stop you; it is there as a last resort safety measure.
Be conscious of other crafts that will be crossing the finish line after you, as well as those that have already finished.
Have fun and be safe!
The Most Creative Craft (based on the theme) of each category will receive an award. 1st and 2nd place will be awarded to the Fastest Crafts of each category.
All riders in the Unlimited category must 19 years of age or older.
1. Materials: All crafts are to be constructed of cardboard, glue & tape only. Other materials such as metal, wire or wood are NOT allowed. Crafts may be painted.
2. Weight Limitations: Crafts competing in the categories of 12 & Under, Age 13 – 18, and Age 19 + may weigh no more than 150 lbs. Crafts competing in the Unlimited category may weigh no more than 250 lbs.
3. Brakes Required: All crafts MUST be built with a braking system. The safety fence at the bottom of the course will not stop all crafts, and is only installed as a last resort safety measure.
4. No Refunds to Disqualified Crafts: All crafts are subject to being weighed on a dynamometer to ensure weight limits are not exceeded. Crafts will also be carefully examined to ensure no prohibited materials are used. Any craft that exceeds the weight limit and/or is not built according to the rules will be disqualified from the creative contest and race. Refunds will not be given to disqualified crafts.
MOST CREATIVE CRAFT JUDGING
1. Most creative judging will be held the morning of the race in the Main Lodge Courtyard.
2. Crafts entered in both the most creative contest & the race must maintain the same physical characteristics for both contests. Crafts cannot be disassembled or altered in any way.
CARDBOARD CLASSIC RACE RULES
1. Any costume considered unsafe (with hard or sharp pieces) must be removed before the race, although they will be allowed for the overall costume judging. Helmets are recommended.
2. Crafts competing in the categories of 12 & Under, Age 13 – 18 and Age 19 + may have no more than 2 riders.
3. Crafts will race and be judged based on the age of the oldest rider.
4. Crafts must remain in the courtyard until lead, by the race official, to the start line.
5. Contestants must pull (man-power only) their own crafts to the starting line at the base of the Willow Creek Chair. At the starting line, racers will line up in the order of categories listed above, starting with the youngest riders first.
6. A push line will be established 10 feet beyond the start line. All racers will line up at the start line and anyone helping to push the craft must stop pushing or be in the craft before the craft crosses the push line.
7. Contestants are responsible for controlling the speed and direction of their craft, including stopping at the finish. All crafts MUST have, and make use of a braking system.
8. A craft is not considered "finished" until the entire craft and all crew members, including those left behind on the course, have completely crossed the finish line.
9. Winners will be determined at the finish line and awards will be given at that time.
UNLIMITED CLASS--ADDITIONAL RULES
10. The Unlimited class entrants will be determined by the judges based on:
1) A craft weight of at least 150 lbs & no more than 250 lbs
2) A total of 2 riders (no more, no less), with no riders younger than 19 years old
3) The craft and riders must exhibit the theme of the carnival.
11. A push line will be established 10 feet beyond the start line. All crafts will line up at the start line and riders are the only ones allowed to push. All riders must stop pushing and be in the craft before the craft crosses the push line.